Oysters, food you either love or hate. They are slimy, chewy, and have the taste of the ocean. You may also know them from their pearls but only in 1 of 10.000 oysters you will find a pearl. But for us, every oyster is a pearl, we will explain.
Oysters are extremely healthy for you they provide almost every essential nutrient you need. They are also called aphrodisiacs, which means it is a food that boosts the libido of men and women. So, if you want a steamy night oysters might be the food you want to eat on a date night.
And if you already enjoying this delicacy you might want to read this entire blog to know which benefits oysters have, because there are a lot! But if you never tried oysters before or don’t like them this blog will maybe change your mind…
…because you are actually missing out BIG TIME!
You will find all the answers below to why oysters are a superfood …
Oysters are high in vitamins & minerals
Oysters are filter feeders which means they feed themselves by filtering water through their body. Plankton, algae, and other nutrients will be trapped in the oyster’s gills and consumed.
An adult oyster can filter up to 200 liters of water a day, that not only sounds a lot, it is! And therefore, they are packed with high numbers of nutrients, they contain the following vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin B12: The main function of vitamin B12 is for your nervous system, cardiovascular system, immune system, the production of red blood cells, and energy levels. A lot of people have a deficiency in vitamin B12, especially older people and vegetarians.
- Vitamin D: You need vitamin D for strong bones, teeth, strong muscles, and for your mental health. Vitamin D is also a great antioxidant that helps with your immune system.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin that works as an antioxidant, protects your organs (heart, brain, and liver), and boosts your immune system.
- Zinc: Zinc is essential for over 300 enzymes in your body. You need it for your immune system, metabolism, cell growth, energy levels, the growth and development of tissue, and the structure of the protein. Zinc is also known for its benefits for your libido and fertility.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is a super mineral that almost 80% of people have a deficiency in. Magnesium contributes to your energy levels, electrolyte balance, flexible and strong muscles, and cognitive functions.
- Selenium: Selenium is a powerful antioxidant. It protects red blood cells against damage, can make heavy metals that end up in food less toxic and maintains a proper thyroid function.
- Iron: Your body needs iron to make hemoglobin and myoglobin, proteins that carry oxygen throughout your body. With an iron deficiency, your body can’t get enough oxygen and you will be tired and have some other health issues.
- Copper: You need copper in your body for your vision, cardiovascular functions, brain functions, and your iron metabolism.
- Iodine: Iodine is necessary to produce thyroid hormones. Those hormones are essential for normal metabolism, normal growth, and development of the nervous system and brain.
Oysters can be beneficial if you want to lose some extra weight
Oysters can help you when you want to lose some extra weight. Oysters are very low in calories; 100 grams of oysters contain 81 calories. Oysters are very high in lean protein; 100 grams of oysters contain 9.5 grams of protein. And what is also special about oysters is that they contain all nine amino acids your body needs.
If you eat a lot of oysters, you will be quite full because you need to eat a lot before you get high in calories, perfect when you don’t want to eat too many calories. If you eat a lot of proteins (oysters are high in protein) it will work in your favor to reduce the feeling of hunger, this will also help you if you want to lose weight.
High in Omega 3
Oysters contain high levels of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 are essential amino acids because we can only get them from food. Omega-3 can help reduce chronic illness, help with your heart health, and reduce inflammation in your body.
Oysters can help with your sex drive
A lot of people say that when you eat oysters your libido rises and there is only one thing left you want to do…
…have some sex.
But is this actually true? And why do people say this?
The primary reason people say this is because oysters contain a very high amount of zinc. Zinc is essential for your libido and healthy testosterone levels. It also can boost your fertility.
We hope you are convinced now that oysters really are one of the best superfoods nature can provide. They are high in vitamins, minerals, protein, and omega-3!
Of course, we understand that oysters are still not everyone’s favorite, their unique texture and taste are truly special, and you just have to love them.
But don’t worry you can still enjoy the benefits of the vitamins and minerals that oysters offer.
Our pure oyster extract contains 100% freeze-dried oysters. By freeze-drying all the nutrients, minerals, enzymes, and co-factors stay intact. By supplementing the pure oyster extract you can enjoy all the benefits that oysters are offering naturally on a daily basis.
Nutriest oyster supplements are the best possible form of natural zinc, you will thank us later 😉